Saturday, September 27

gender bending mouse

This is Toopie


This is Binno


The girl and I enjoyed some "mother daughter" time as Chris was busy with work. What is our idea of mother daughter time you ask. Well ironically it started by getting a small taste of what it would be like if I had had a boy. One word BAKUBAN. Little balls that open up to become critters that do battle. They are all the rage and all the cool kids are playing with them. Because I love my friend and by proxy her two boys I rammed my way into Toys R Us and bought some to mail to Fergus Ontario. Why? Because the silly things are sold out everywhere! Toys R US got their shipment in at nine AM this morning and every single one was gone by noon. Phewww it was vicious...sorry Quinn and Kels I did cave to the little boy with tears in his eyes and gave him the red guy with three heads. Apparently red three headed critters are fierce.

Elora and I then sat on the mall floor waiting for the free Toopie and Binno show. They did give out play doe which was fun and I did get evil looks from other parents when I let my kid jump on hers to see how flat she could make it...also fun.
All in all Toopie and Binno were very fun.
The cartoon is a series of short shows each lasting 5-10 min about a mouse and his cat friend having imaginary adventures. One day Toopie is a princess putting on lipstick to kiss a frog and the next day Toopie is a brave night rescuing the princess. There is a small bit of controversy that Toopie's gender is non specific. However I say take the knot out of your panties and enjoy a show that does not conform your children's imagination to gender specific rolls.


3 comments:

LMW said...

The cat is a stuffed animal... it has no genitalia... I think it is freakier to create gender roles for an inanimate cartoon creature.

Unknown said...

I am a little more concerned about the fact that the mouse only has three digits on each hand...poor thing

Louise said...

YEAH---not so sure when Toopy's sounds convincingly "boyish". Olivia at 5.5 has caught the gender bending, Toopy in a tutu. She just laughs and thinks "he's" silly.
Aaaah to be young and love silliness!!